Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Week 11: Comics As Contemporary Literature

     The three comics I decided to read through were Asterios Polyp, The Dream Hunters, and Why I Hate Saturn. I had actually read The Dream Hunters in a previous class and really enjoyed it. I read through Asterios Polyp before I even realized The Dream Hunters was on the list. I didn't find Why I Hate Saturn very interesting so that was one of the ones I decided to not finish. On the other hand, I LOVED the art style of Asterios Polyp and loved the art style AND story of The Dream Hunters. Asterios Polyp had a beautiful art style and a hard to follow, but interesting storyline. I just loved the colors and how unique the storytelling is illustrated. The Dream Hunters is beautiful. I would maybe consider it more of a storybook than a comic but the story is enthralling as well as the art. 
     I think all comics are literary. The exact definition of 'literary' is 'concerning the writing, study, or content of literature, especially of the kind valued for quality of form.' All comics tell a story just as much as words do, and when making comics, most people write down the story before they even illustrate it. I don't know in what way comics can't be literary. Even comics without text at all could be considered literary. Comics have the same capacity to tell an important and impactful story than any non-illustrated book does

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14: Webcomics

     This week's topic is webcomics, something that I really love. I have been reading webcomics ever since I was a little kid. From vir...