Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Week 08: Ethics and Representation


For this week I initially read Hip Hop Family Tree but switched to March. Unfortunately, I had already typed this and then lost all of it.  I really loved the art style for March as well at Hip Hop Family Tree but March's style was much more serious and matched the story it was telling. I really enjoyed the way it told the story in a black and white format. I feel like I can't think of many comics that are non-fiction. I think it's a really neat unusual way to tell a true story. I like that it's from a personal view of John Lewis and him telling his story to the younger generation of African American children. The authors work very hard to tell every story they can about the lead up to the Selma to Montgomery march. In my opinion, they do great justice to John Lewis's telling of his story. I like how you really get to know John Lewis, even down to the little things like his love for his chickens as a kid. I feel like you get more attached to a story when you truly learn the personality of the main character/person telling the story. I think comics are a good way to tell a true story while also being interesting and making you empathize with the situation. I would love to read more non-fiction comics and I think they're a really good medium to tell a stories that some people may find otherwise boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14: Webcomics

     This week's topic is webcomics, something that I really love. I have been reading webcomics ever since I was a little kid. From vir...