Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Week 09: Wide World of Comics

For this week I, of course, chose to read Tank Girl. When you're assigned the option of reading a comic by your favorite artist in the whole world it's hard to choose anyone else. I actually physically have quite a few issues of Tank Girl although I hadn't read the ones from the course resource. Tank Girl has always been a wild censorless story, full of crazy shit. Tank Girl, Rebecca, is a crazy punk outlaw/Mad Max type in semi-apocalyptic Australia. Tank Girl was just a wild character to empower women of the punk rock scene, and very successful at that. I don't know why I love this comic so much, maybe just because Jamie Hewlett illustrated it but I just love the rawness of it. Jamie's stories have always been pretty wild and not the easiest to follow but I really think he's one of the greatest illustrators of all time and still tells amazing stories. I could go on about him forever. From Tank Girl to his work with my favorite band, the Gorillaz, he easily makes everything he creates interesting. He's always told stories from a gritty and vulgar perspective and his art style is so iconic you can easily tell when it's him. I'm just down to take any excuse I can to gush about Jamie Hewlett.
I also checked out the thing about Moebius and Miyazaki and found it super interesting. Something about both of their art makes me so nostalgic. I felt myself tearing up reading and viewing all the art and the things about their friendship, that was also a very good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14: Webcomics

     This week's topic is webcomics, something that I really love. I have been reading webcomics ever since I was a little kid. From vir...